Rancid Chronicles: part 19

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Rancid Chronicles: part 19

Post by Lo Ki » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:26 am

Summer Solstice was great. I spent the day with the ladies on a picnic at the beach. My only previous experience with beaches was clawing my way up a muddy riverbank by the dock after some bullies threw me in for a lark. The wide sandy beaches of the bay are much nicer. A few fishing boats were pulled up on the shore. Others were out on the water. Some were fishing, others were celebrating the holiday with pleasure cruises. The night I spent at a local tavern as usual; only this time I was buying the drinks instead of sponging off others who were drunk enough to be generous. The next morning I was praying for my patron to appear with more of his wonderful cures. No such luck.

It has been more than two months since I last saw Rancid. Once such an absence would have worried me; did worry me, in fact. Maybe it is the illusion of security this place brings. In my old neighborhood the rougher crowd was always in evidence; here, they are far less obtrusive. Oh, they are here. I have seen them in the local taverns. But they keep a lower profile. Law rules here for the most part; yet, nearly every shop in this quarter bears the protection mark of the thieves’ guild. However, I no longer worry about what perils my patron may bring down on me. It is a small price to pay for this new life. I now have more to lose than ever had before in all my life; but, I would die grateful to have had it for even a short time.

Oddly enough, my only fear is of losing this new life. In fact I believe I would prefer to die than go back to my old life. Actually, in a short time I have become so entrenched here that even the loss of my patron’s largess would not send me sliding back to the old neighborhood. Even if I should lose my savings, I now have friends I could lean on until I got back on my feet. But I would dearly miss the ladies should I have to vacate this apartment and shop.

Still, I do wonder what new adventures and dangers my small patron is facing.
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule