Rancid Chronicles: part 11

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Rancid Chronicles: part 11

Post by Lo Ki » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:53 am

It’s well past midnight as I write this. I have not slept well these past few nights. At first I was relieved to see him again; but, that relief has given way to worry. I suddenly find Rancid’s stories disturbing. I used to enjoy the excitement he added to my bland life; not to mention the money. But, now I would give it all back if I could. I used to be beneath everyone’s notice, now I seem to be known by everyone. I would be happier if many of them still did not know me; particularly the more shady factions.

I never really had any trrue enemies, now I am afraid his enemies will think of me as their enemy. What will become of me if I lose his protection? And what if I should somehow cross him. Despite his charm and seeming concern for me, he is a thief. And if his stories are to be believed, and I do believe them, then he has little regard for life. He has killed and I believe he has no compunctions about killing again. I always knew there was a second society of the violent and lawless in this city; but, I never expected to be drawn into it, even if only peripherally. He is obviously deeply involved with that unsavory element.

What changed? Why am I suddenly afraid? Was it the beating I took? Was it the threats I received while Rancid was gone? How deeply am I enmeshed in this? How do I get out? What should I do? What CAN I do?

It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep will do! Yesterday I went to an apothecary and got a sleeping draught. I was exhausted and was growing desperate. I took the potion and slept the sleep of the dead. I awoke at mid-morning to find a beautiful spring day. The sun was shining bright and warm as I took a walk around the quarter. The streets are as cramped and dirty as ever; but, it does not matter. The shops were bustling as everyone appeared to be taking advantage of the fine weather to run their errands. Even the homeless and destitute seemed to be enjoying the day. I feel better than I have felt in weeks. My fears are not gone; but they no longer weigh heavily on me either.

I considered Rancid’s question as I walked. I can certainly afford better lodgings these days. Also, a better neighborhood would take me away from many of the shadier characters that haunt this part of the city. I have no illusions that I would be safe from Rancid’s enemies; but maybe the adage is true, “out of sight, out of mind.” It would at least take me away from the usual thieves and thugs. Maybe I will start looking. Or maybe my patron already has some place in mind. I wonder….
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule