Rancid Chronicles: part 9

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Rancid Chronicles: part 9

Post by Lo Ki » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:29 am

I don’t know who my little patron knows; but I have suddenly become an important man in my little neighborhood. The bullies I used to avoid now step aside for me. Shopkeeps who once demanded cash on the barrelhead are offering me freebies and credit. I was never a ladies man. I am not unattractive but I never attracted their attention either; I am not exactly the rugged type girls seem to go for. However, girls who once made it clear that I was not worth their time now openly flirt with me. The street walkers used to ignore me but now are quite direct in offering me their services; I think I liked it better when they ignored me.

It all started slowly at first. The bullies left me alone and the shopkeepers were a bit nicer; then, as time went by, things escalated. I think the rumor mill has blown things out of proportion. Still, what kind of influence does my patron have to set all this in motion?

I noticed a mark on my small sign outside my door. I had seen this mark on some of the shops also. I inquired of one shopkeep as to the meaning of this mark. He gave me a funny look and then said it a sign that the property is protected by the thieves’ guild. Anyone who steals from a place protected by that mark will likely end up dead.

Just who is this patron of mine? I knew he was a thief, and obviously successful; but, I never knew he was so influential. And where is he? I haven’t seen him for nearly two months now. It’s not the money I miss; I have more stashed a way now than the total of all I have ever made before he appeared. We have never really talked; but, still, I have become rather fond of the little guy. He has certainly added spice too my once bland life. I hope he is well.

It has now been three months since I last saw my patron. I have passed the time by providing free service to the poorer people in this quarter. A few who can easily afford to pay try to scam my free services; but, they are surprisingly easy to spot. They often get angry when I show them the door. One in particular screamed obscenities and threats at me as he left. I later heard that he was mugged in broad daylight and took a severe beating; my protectors? I worry a bit about that.

I heard a rumor about my patron the other day. One of the neighborhood toughs had a bit to drink and confronted me. He said that if the “boss” wasn’t so afraid of that “little runt” he would rip off my head and piss down my throat. I was quite concerned he was about to do it anyway, but his friends quickly ushered him away. I later heard he fell down a flight of stairs… repeatedly. What will happen to me if my patron never returns? I hope he is okay!
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule

nyfin yurbak
Seeder
Seeder

Post by nyfin yurbak » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:03 pm

Once again an excellent article, I shared this with my D&D group and they're all hooked. Keep Writing! :D
Anne Archer - level 66 archer...OF DOOM
4 levels from SELF BUFFING GOODNESS
Nyfin Yurbak - Level 64 Sword...OF DOOM
Nick Pappageorgio - level 85 BM(now a mule)

Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Lo Ki » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:44 am

Thanks for the feeback! Last time I checked, almost no one was had viewed these and I was about ready to stop posting them. I'm glad someone enjoys them! :D
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule