Retaliation

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Prowling Death
Farmer
Farmer

Retaliation

Post by Prowling Death » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:49 am

09-17-2003

I'm writing this on the fly during a short break at work. This means the final copy I post will be somewhat different, to an unknown degree. BUT, here's a taste of a tale tentatively titled "Retaliation"

**As always, I reserve the right of artistic license when referring to somebody's weapon(s) of choice and all things Dereth. <<chuckle>> Well, here goes a sneak peek:**

Heart racing out of control, Panzerfaust, monarch of the Last Dynasty, sheathed his wand with a sigh of relief. Sinking to his knees, he leaned against the wall of the dungeon, letting his mind drift back 90 minutes.

While loafing on the plateau of ML, the war mage had discovered a strange portal. Unlike the normal colored portals, this one had a sickly khaki color to it. Not able to identify it, the Sho spell slinger accepted it as a challenge and entered.

Surprisingly, when he had cleared portal space, Panzer had found himself in the center of a small room with 4 ramps sloping upward. After a rather hasty application of life and creature buffs, he chose one at random and loped easily up the steep incline.

Flicking his wrist mounted radar to scan, he was delighted to find a half dozen foes within range of his drain spells. However, he was frustrated when the panel came back with a no information available message.
Shrugging it off, the monarch tossed a 7th level imperil spell at the closest target, and was resisted!

"That shouldn't be happening," he muttered darkly. "Not with a buffed skill of 600." Several failures later, Panz reluctantly conceded the creature was too magically resistant.

The only result out of the monarch's spellcasting attempts was to see one of the orange dots moving his way. Feeling vibrations through the soles of his Covenant sollerets, he knew it was something big. As the creature rounded a corner in the hall, Panzerfaust immediately knew why the ceiling was virtually invisible, even in the torchlight corridor.

"Oh my God," he gasped. "That son of a gun is at least forty feet tall, and its fist is about the size of an engine block!" Hastily he ducked as the monster swung its fist, wincing as debris showered down when the beast's fist went completely through the wall.

There ya have it ladies and gents. Just enough to whet your appetite for more. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

09-26-2003

Unaware of what their monarch was going through, Opti Silmara and Ranger Du'Moss were experiencing a very bad time in the Valley of Death.

For some unknown reason, the entire fellowship's magic abilities were being more fickle than usual. As a result, Opti and Ranger were the only two members of the nine man group standing.

Given that the 'weakest' of them was a 'mere' level one thirty, this swiftly brought about an epidemic of lifestone hugging. Drudge Cabalists, Virindi Profatrix, even the adolescent gromnies were able to land either physical or magical blows with impunity.

The flip side of things was that Ranger's fellowship spent more time trying to heal than they did counter attacking. Ultimately, Olo'rin, a powerful level one sixty-two mage was the first to fall.

Though the survivors immediately scrambled to relative safety, it did little good. Showing an unnatural tenacity, the creatures did not return to their spawn point, instead showering the Isparians with an intense barrage of arcane and thrown assault.

After the second fatality, Ranger bellowed "Everyone, head for the trees and use them for cover. Zig zag as you run." Waiting until his comrades had turned, the crossbow wielder began his own turn when disaster struck even further.

A phenomenon unique to Dereth yet completely unexplainable, chose that moment to strike. Commonly called "lag" by inhabitants this event caused a person (or monster) to abruptly go into a slow motion style of movement.

Allana the Bringer, an archer of the one hundred thritieth rank was the first casualty. While appearing to run through glue, the young lady was blasted with several de-buff spells, then sliced to ribbons from a Virindi Whirling Blades spell.

Caught in the grip of this menace and helpless to intervene, Ranger and Opti could only watch a combination of "lag" and beast cut their friends down, like chaff in a windstorm.

Apparently satisfied witha the carnage they had wreaked, the beasts then left the area. Stunned by the slaughter they had witnessed, the two survivors at first didn't see the strange portal materialize behind them.

Their awareness of the khaki looking gateway coincided with a massive spawn of at least fifty different types of creature. Glancing at each other in dismay, Opti was the first to speak. "Even with a pair of full fellows, our chances would be minimal at best. In this case, though we still could die, I suggest the unknown."

Spinning on her heel, the warrior dived into the portal, Du'moss right on her heels.

10-05-2003

Olo and Allana had just completed the torturous 'reassembly' of life after death at their Hebian-To lifestone after their untimely demise. To their astonishment, none of their "death items" had been lost. In fact their pack contents were indicative of a voluntary recall, rather than a death spawned one.

Glancing at each other, the two were taken off-guard by the sudden appearance of several khaki colored portals. Instinctively, the pair readied their weapon of choice and awaited what was to happen next. Instead of expelling a monster of some kind, the half dozen gateways circled the pair of Last Dynasty warriors until the Isparian duo was completely surrounded.

With a grim chuckle, Allana turned to her companion and said, "I think our little playmates are inviting us to join their festivites. In fact, I think they are being downright rude and insistent."

"Not only that," her companion dryly replied, "It's not going to be easy for us to refuse their hospitality. Look there," Olo'rin said, gesturing above with his left thumb.

A quick glance was all the archer needed to see what her companion meant. At least five more portals had appeared overhead. In effect, the warriors were effectively imprisoned with only one means to be free of the immediate threat.

Then, even that choice was taken away. As if on some unseen or heard signal, the entire grouping of miscolored portals swiftly closed in smothering their vicitms with portal space energy.

As she whirled through the nexus of portal space, Allana couldn't help but think one thought over and over:

Where the hell are we going to drop out?

Last edited by Prowling Death on Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Prowling Death - Level 126 CLaW mage gimp

"The brave do not fear the grave"

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength. Loving someone deeply gives you courage." - Lao Tzu

Panzerfaust
Monarch

Post by Panzerfaust » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:11 am

I did not realize my mother-in-law was in game :D
[img]htttp://lastdynasty.net/pics/panzersig.jpg[/img]

Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant. -Horace

Prowling Death
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Prowling Death » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:13 am

Actually, I was thinking of my ex-wife :twisted:

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength. Loving someone deeply gives you courage." - Lao Tzu

Yafel
Gardener
Gardener

Post by Yafel » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:07 pm

:O :P
Telurea - lvl 76 Bow
Yafel - lvl 68 BM
Big Shot - lvl 44 XBow

Opti_Silmara
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Opti_Silmara » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:16 pm

Excellent! I want to see more. ;)

Opti 8)
[img]http://ac.gamepoint.net/~illuminati/ima ... amwalk.gif[/img]During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner." - Jack Handey

Prowling Death
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Prowling Death » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:30 am

Opti, you and "Reckless" Ranger Du'Moss, are going to be the next two guinea pigs (oops, did I actually say that) err, LD members in the story.
And wait until you see what I have in store for Sassy! mwahahaha

Gray

Sassy
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Sassy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:36 am

:shock: :shock: :lol:

:angel:
[img]http://lastdynasty.net/pics/sassysig.jpg[/img]

Work like you don't need the money, love
like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching."

Dumoss

Post by Dumoss » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:53 am

Very very nice Start :)

Coji
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Coji » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:39 am

what crap, you didnt even mention someone with real skills. Try Coji in your next teaser, because i know for a fact he is a badass. (but if it was Coji in your teaser i like it a lot :D )
You wasted life, why don't you waste the afterlife?

Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Lo Ki » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:27 am

So, quit teasing and start doing some serious writing! I want more! :D
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule

Prowling Death
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Prowling Death » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:22 am

LOLOLOL! :lol: Okay, okay, you win. My weekly column for ACVault is just going to (possibly) be late this week. Let's see what I can come up with.

***hmmmm, instead of leaving that as the middle of the tale, it's a heckuva good place to start.

I'll post something with 60 - 90 minutes from time of this post.

Gray

Dumoss

Post by Dumoss » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:54 pm

Hmm, I lived? Thats a first. When does that happen.
Well Good for me wOOt...ROFL!!!!

I like it :)

Panzerfaust
Monarch

Post by Panzerfaust » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:58 pm

oh, btw, i'm a life tank and aluvian -- ahem :D
[img]htttp://lastdynasty.net/pics/panzersig.jpg[/img]

Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant. -Horace

Mickie
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Mickie » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:00 pm

Of source you lived silly.. there were no Mutilators... yet...
First they ignore you, Then they laugh at you, Then they fight you, Then you win.

Dumoss

Post by Dumoss » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:07 pm

Hay Muts might hurt me bad.

But when Swarm muts are 117k a piece, its all worth the pain.

I can Heal :)