Rancid Chronicles: part 3

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Rancid Chronicles: part 3

Post by Lo Ki » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:34 am

The day was bright, clear, and calm but still cold. I had just finished with a customer and was standing in the door enjoying the smell of the sea in the crisp air when a voice from behind startled me. “Are you just going to stand there all day? You’re letting the heat out.” I turned to see Rancid seated by the fire. I have still have no idea how he got there unnoticed. Surprised, I stood staring while he took a long drink from an earthen bottle. The heady smell of strong ale floated past me on the warm air drafting out the open door. “Well?” he asked corking the bottle, “You going to write today or not?” I shook myself out of my daze and shut the door before going to my desk and readying paper and ink.

“It is amazing how many strange traditions and customs are found even within a single kingdom,” he began as I took up my pen. “For instance, there is a village on the coast just three days ride south of here. In this village is a tavern. In the center of the tavern is a wooden pillar with a number of names carved into it. Seeing this, I naturally added my own. I was just finishing when someone shouted ‘Hey!’ I turned to find everyone in the place staring at me. ‘He has defiled the memorial!’ another shouted. I was just opening my mouth to ask what they meant when someone else shouted ‘Get him!’ No explanation was needed for what followed. I was surrounded by an angry mob, again. There was no place to go but up into the rafters. As they closed on me I surprised them by leaping straight up about a dozen feet and landing on one of the exposed beams.” Rancid tapped the sides of his boots together as he continued. “My kind seldom wear shoes as our feet are quite rugged and are protected by a thick covering of hair; however, I find these boots more than make up for the small discomfort they cause. They possess a magic which allows the wearer to jump amazing distances. This was not the first, nor last, time they saved my hide.

‘So, here I was, dancing from beam to beam, my eyes stinging from the trapped smoke while angry men threw bottles, cups, plates, and an occasional stool at me. I easily avoided most which fell back onto others making them even madder. Someone had already shut and barred the front door and a big fellow was blocking the door to the kitchen; there were no windows. I was beginning to tire and already had a couple of bruises from lucky hits. The crowd below was in no mood to be reasoned with, although I did try. So, I had to resort to some magical sleeping powder I had obtained from an alchemist who was out when I visited. I held my breath and scattered the dust over the mob below. At first it appeared to have no effect; but, after a few minutes individuals began to stagger and sit or fall. The only one not affected was an elf who sat grinning in a corner. I found a clear spot and leapt down. That was a big mistake. My landing stirred up a cloud of dust while forcing me to exhale heavily. The following inhale took in some of the newly suspended sleeping powder. I did make it out of the tavern before collapsing in a deep sleep. Thus it was the town watch who found me and the others. Unfortunately the elf told them all that had happened.

‘I awoke in a jail cell with a couple of watchmen standing over me. My weapons and most of my gear was gone. Once others had begun to awaken, these two were sent to wake me and had done so with a bucket of water. I was then taken before the magistrate. There I learned that the pillar was a monument and the names were men who had died in defense of the village. For defacing the pillar I would receive a dozen lashes in the town square. I was also charged with assault on the people who were after me. However, the magistrate was a reasonable man; and since no one was hurt and I was acting in self defense, he simply took most of my money as a fine. I got my whipping the next day and afterward was allowed to have the welts tended and to spend the night in jail before being run out of town the next morning. They did return my weapons and gear so I didn’t have to steal them back. Apparently graffiti is in the eye of the beholder.”

Rancid took another swig of ale from his bottle and settled himself more comfortably in the chair. I blotted my writings and began fixing my afternoon tea. A sudden chill draft and the click of the door hasp were all that betrayed his departure.
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule