Rancid Chronicles: part 1

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Lo Ki
Seeder
Seeder

Rancid Chronicles: part 1

Post by Lo Ki » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:33 am

Foreword:

These stories aren't about AC but have been inspired by my adventures in a number of RPGs; especially ADnD, Rolemaster, Elric, Warhammer, and Runequest. Hope you enjoy them. Now for the first chapter....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am Erigan, a scribe by trade. Much of my business is simply reading or writing letters for the many people who have never learned to read or write themselves. As I have studied several languages I also provide translations; a much more lucrative task; but. one for which there is scant demand. My trade is usually quite boring but that was about to change.

One wintry afternoon a weary halfling entered the shop which is also my home. I have a desk where I work with another chair nearby where my customers usually sit as I read or write for them. My visitor ignored both and went straight to the hearth. My fire was nearly out and there was a bit of a chill in the room. The small fellow watched the fleeting flames for a moment and then began adding sticks from my meager supply by the fireplace. I was rather taken aback by his boldness; but, unable to find the appropriate words, I resorted to clearing my throat rather meaningfully. He added a few more pieces of wood to the fire before turning to face me.

He was not like most halflings. Where others dressed in bright cheery colors, this one wore dull greens, browns, and grays beneath a cloak made of black silk. Also while few halflings wore shoes even in the coldest weather, he was shod in high brown leather boots. He appeared to be of middle age with many lines weathered into his face; but, his eyes betrayed a lively spirit. A wide leather belt supported two daggers and several pouches of varying size. From one of these he produced a golden coin which he tossed to me. “Go buy some more wood,” he ordered, “and while you’re at it, get some food and wine.” He then proceeded to settle himself in the overstuffed chair near the hearth which was my one luxury.

I gaped at the coin in my hand. It had markings with which I was unfamiliar; but, it was heavy, and when I bit it, it held marks left by my teeth. Even accounting for the tax to change it into the coinage of the city, it was nearly worth the entire contents of my shop.

I hesitated only briefly before taking my cloak and setting out on the errand he had set for me. Let him rob me if he wished; I would still come out ahead.

When I returned with a bundle of wood and another of food and wine, he was still settled in the chair. I placed the wood by the hearth and the food on my desk. Without really even thinking about it, I found a box to use as a small table and set it by his chair. His chair? My chair! Still I said nothing. It was almost as though I were a bystander watching my body provide for this stranger while I wondered why it would do so. I put food on a platter and set it on the box.

As I did so, he looked up at me. “I have my own drink,” he said holding up a clay bottle covered with a rich brown glaze. “I have come to ask you to write my story,” he continued as I turned to pour myself some wine. “I suppose I could write it my self,” he said, “after all, I have already written one book.” He chuckled. “But that was a bit different. Remind me to tell you about it sometime.” He paused and took a deep breath which he let out slowly. “No, I think you would do it better.” He turned to look at me. “I must warn you, I am a bit eccentric; some would say crazy.” He turned back to gaze at the fire. “I will pop in unannounced and at odd times. I will expect you to wrap up whatever you are doing to scribe my stories as I tell them. And, in off times, maybe you can dress them up a bit. In return, you will be well paid.”

He pulled another of those strange gold coins from a pouch and tossed it to me. I nearly dropped it in my eagerness to catch it. The change from the last one still weighed heavily in my pocket. He grinned at my antics. “I take it that we have a deal, then,” he laughed. I could only nod. My little visitor took a long pull from his bottle and then corked it and put it away as he rose. He pulled his cloak close around himself as he went out into a gathering storm. It was several minutes before I realized I did not know his name.
Lo Ki Level 80 sword
Brion Level 46 spear
Ahn Lo Level 49 four school mage
K'tellen Level 52 trade mule

DL
Farmer
Farmer

Post by DL » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:32 am

BRAVO!!!

Yay Lo Ki...thanks...I love it as much as the 1st time....can't wait to read more.
Dangerous Lady

I'm an AC addict...do I want help for my addiction?...NO!!!

Heatmiser
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Heatmiser » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:57 pm

Nice. :)