A tale of Celcynd. Chapter one

There is a little Sun Tzu in all of us.
Tynerion
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

A tale of Celcynd. Chapter one

Post by Tynerion » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:00 pm

CHAPTER ONE

"Seesand! Seesand!" Trilled a high-pitched voice from within the small house. Celcynd knew what was coming and smiled. For several months now, his trek through holtburg to the building where he taught would always be interrupted by endless exuberance in the form of a little brown haired child named Hardunna. He could always take other paths to his destination. In fact, some would probably prove faster, but he found that he could not deny this high-spirited urchin her prize. In fact, he could not deny himself, as he had come to look forward to their morning rendezvous with joy.

The door of the house flung open so quickly, that not even the usual squeak of the rusted hinges could make itself heard. The running girl acquired her target and latched herself to Celcynds leg like a starving reed shark. "Can I go wif you today seesand? Pweeeese? Mama said I could!" It was all he could do to keep from laughing out loud, but he was a stickler for conventions and crouched down to face the child. "I do believe you have forgotten something my dear," he said with a twinkle in his eye. For a moment a cloud of uncertainty washed over her ruddy face. A split second later, the cloud parting, Hardunna flung her arms around Celcynds neck and provided him with his required boon, a kiss on the cheek.

"Ahhh! Much better!" he laughed as he picked the four-year-old up off the ground. "What say you Alynne? Shall I hamper my life today with this ragamuffin?" The head of Hardunnas mother broke though the plane of the open window. "Aye, Celcynd! Take her! For she does naught but draw on the walls with chalk and keeps me cleaning up behind her all day with her clay sculptures!" Hardunna pushed her head up against Celcynds cheek and whispered none too quietly; "I made one for you Seesand! Look!" Reaching into the folds of her ragged tunic, Hardunna pulled out what seemed at first to be a gnarled twig, but upon closer inspection in the light revealed it to be a figurine of a woman in a flowing dress. It was not often that Celcynd was caught off guard, but the smiles from both Hardunna and her mother reflected that this was one of those times. Not only for the fact that there were artists who would be jealous of Hardunnas ability to create such detail at such a young age, but more so that the facial features, the exacting detail of the flowing hair left no question in his mind that this was a statuette of the love of his life, Brentsella. Celcynd grasped Hardunna a little more tightly in his arms, and whispered back to Hardunna, again, none too quietly for the benefit of her mothers ears as well; "Thank you sweet child. I shall treasure this always."

"But now we must go!" Celcynd exclaimed while placing Hardunna back on the ground and slipping the gift carefully into his pack. "It does not befit a great mage and teacher to be late to the class that he himself is teaching! Fare thee well Alynne! I shall return Hardunna this afternoon if the Banderlings don't get her first!" Alynne laughed as she wrapped up some cheese, meat and cakes made the previous evening and slipped them to Hardunna through the window. Celcynd nodded to Alynne in gratitude noticing that she had provided much more than what Hardunna could possibly eat, took Hardunnas hand and started away from the household.

As Alynne watched her daughter and the most respected man in Holtburg make their way up the path to where all town children were schooled, she called out with a grin "Watch him closely today Hardunna. Don't let him stray off on topics of magic as he is apt to do when he is supposed to be teaching you to read and write!" Celcynd looked down at Hardunna with a sly smile and a wink. Hardunna returned the wink as best she could and without looking back, yelled out in her little voice, "I won't mama, I won't."
Last edited by Tynerion on Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sassy
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Sassy » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:27 pm

Wow..and this is only the beginning? Can't wait to read the rest :D .

/e looks thru the posts to see if Chapter 2 is up yet :)

:angel:
[img]http://lastdynasty.net/pics/sassysig.jpg[/img]

Work like you don't need the money, love
like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching."

Khaz-Modaan
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Khaz-Modaan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:03 pm

Reminds me of the "Redwall" series I have read - Great stuff, I'd love to see the rest of the story, Tyn!

Hmm... perhaps a collaberative story of some sort would be interesting, at one point - let me know what you think.
I read a book saying that women are from venus, all right? So here's what you get her: Thick layers of sulfuric acid, viscous surface rock, and coronae which seem to be collapsed domes over large magma chambers. Here's $5.

Tynerion
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Tynerion » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:14 pm

Great idea Khaz! That would be a hoot!

/e checks Amazon.com for the "Redwall" series. :)

Neuslayer
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Neuslayer » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:56 pm

WOW. I am in awe. What a great start. Between you and Khaz, I won't need to go buy anymore books :wink: As long as you guys write faster!!!!!!
Neuslayer--lvl 126 archer (OMG )
:lilangel:
Hussy--lvl 45 sword