Tips on the new spawns in OP

Tips and Tricks to Surviving on Dereth.
Rathgryn
Farmer
Farmer

Tips on the new spawns in OP

Post by Rathgryn » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:42 pm

In my opinion, Obsidian Planes has become one of the absolute hardest places on the game to hunt, and I think in many ways it's more dangerous than VoD. With every recent patch, OP has gotten harder, the creatures have gotten buffed, the respawn times have dropped, and the spawns are huge. It is not uncommon to have 5 clustered spawns of 10-15 creatures a piece on your radar at all times. Nonetheless, I hunt here both solo and with a group, and a couple of tricks will keep you alive.

1. Don't kill the Virindi!!! Not at first anyway. You see, if there's a spawn of 10 creatures with some virindi in the middle, most people immediately go for them as they are the best xp and easiest to kill (they also drop those little pink things you have to carve). But, going for them first can be suicide, because shooting the virindi will often bring the entire spawn of Tuskers, Hollow Minions (ouch) and shadows. For some reason, you can kill the shadows, tuskers and hollow minions first, and the virindi don't seem to care, but if you attack the virindi first, they will all come, and sometimes from nearby spawns. This is an easy way to get overrun with creatures. Draw in the other creatures first and kill the virindi last. Another benefit of this is you don't have to worry about looting the corpses before they decay (cause you were too busy fighting everything else that came when you attacked the virindi).

2. Have one assigned player to draw the spawns. If more than one start firing at a spawn, you might bring the whole spawn, whereas with one player doing it, he can say, "Bringing in the Golems" and land a spell or arrow on a golem. Generally, only the creatures fired on will come with the exception of the virindi as noted in 1. Make sure this guy can survive, as he will be tanking platinum golems, and olthoi mutilators occasionally.

3. Be aware of where you are when moving to the next spawn. After you kill a spawn, don't walk into the center of it and start fighting the next. The respawn rates here are very high, and you could quickly find yourself surrounded by lots of respawned critters and the spawn you were fighting. Remember, monsters generally respawn around a fixed points, so stay aware of where you are even after you dispose of a spawn.

4. Imps and vulns aren't as godlike here as they are in vod, so make sure your mages throw down some war spells. OP is about numbers of creatures overwhealming you, so imps and vulns are a little nerfed, though very useful in the right circumstances (like against Assailers).

Remember, I've seen fellows generate 10 million and up xp an hour in OP when they play by the rules, and i've seen fellows all die within minutes by not paying attention. This place is dangerous, and is no kind of place for macroers and people who aren't willing to get their hands dirty and die a few times. It's alot of fun though, and a great change of pace from almost anywhere in the game.
Last edited by Rathgryn on Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rathgryn the Hunter Lvl 126+ Tank Archer
Lundgryn the Clever Lvl 89 Cooking/Alchy
Sunjin the Tinker Lvl 81 Extreme Tinkerer
Scorn Lvl 222 Player Killer (DT) <---Come get some!!!

Compadre
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Compadre » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:12 pm

this place rules now, i fellowed w/ a buddy and we were doing 15m per hr (!).
IG as the following personalities;
Ray Liotta - 230's Melee War Ua (DT)
Steve Jobs - 210's Grief War (DT, sold)
Compadre - 200's Grief War (VT, sold)
Asian School Girl - 160's Tank Sword (VT, retired)
Compadre - 200's Grief Tank Life UA (sold)

Lucky Strike
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Lucky Strike » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:12 pm

Great post. Thank you.

Rathgryn
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Rathgryn » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:04 pm

Update:

Dave Mustaine, Xevier, and I were hunting here for a little while this weekend and making 15.5 million xp an hour. Outside of the tusker dungeons and valley of death, that's the most xp i've seen per hour from just hunting.

Phade
Professional Farmer
Professional Farmer

Post by Phade » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:32 pm

I've made up to 26mil / hour out there in a small group =)

15 mil solo with shindhi before he was in the chain..

the xp is great out here =)
Shindhi/Phade/Flesh Puppet -SC - Retired
Shindhi/Wamphyri - DT - Retired

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/ ... icker2.jpg[/img]

LrdKimo
Planter
Planter

Post by LrdKimo » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:59 am

great advice, helped me alot

Rathgryn
Farmer
Farmer

Post by Rathgryn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:12 am

Glad you found my advice useful... i wrote that months ago...

After that i pretty much studied and got my degree in VOD and might make a follow up post about hunting in VOD. Only problem there is that everyone thinks their own way is the best.

I might have to run back out to OP soon. VOD is tiresome and I don't care about big xp numbers anymore.