Armor Level and Magor armor

Tips and Tricks to Surviving on Dereth.
Kythden
Harvester
Harvester

Armor Level and Magor armor

Post by Kythden » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:15 pm

OK I am confused, for those of you that know me this is nothing new, but still.

I raised my aromor level of my armor by 50 points, and added major armor, so why did it make no noticable difference when I when back to PM, now I know they do primarily slash, but shouldnt the higher al and Major help a fair amount?
Lover of Scyon, Vassal of Oof, Patron to maxx the pyromancer.
Fear is the Mind Killer

Kythden
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Kythden » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:35 pm

no answers? well I got the magor slash vuln and can pretty much stand there and not do anything and have no probs. But my question remains, why no real effect with the +50 pts al and major armor. Is overall AL level that little of an impact based on damage type? Is there a cut off point? if it is over X amount it stops or starts helping? Why is the answer 42?? Cant any one help me?? ok, I know I am beyond help Scyon so shoosh. Can anyone shed some light on this issue then?
Fear is the Mind Killer

Keebler
Allegiance Council

Post by Keebler » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:39 pm

If I am reading this right, Major Armor I think applies to your life magic. It has nothing to do with banes. Major armor helps more against magic attacks. Yes it does help some with physical attacks but not as much as a bane. If you want your armor level to increase it would have to be a major bane of some sort.

Keebler I
Killing is my business, and business is GOOD!

Allegiance Council
Keebler@lastdynasty.net

Kythden
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Kythden » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:41 pm

or major invuln perhaps? that makes sense, but what about the + 50 points armor (to all but shoes gloves and helm, and they did not hit those very often)
Fear is the Mind Killer

Oof
Allegiance Council

Post by Oof » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:32 pm

Keebler has cookies for brains. :P Yes, Major Armor will increase your overall armor protection. It doesn't help against just one type of damage, but it will help against all types of physical attacks. Since magical attacks aren't affected by AL, it would only help with physical attacks. Say, perhaps, like, oh, I don't know, maybe the wasps attacks in Phyntos Menace?

Cookie man!...
Allegiance Council Member
Oof@lastdynasty.net

Keebler
Allegiance Council

Post by Keebler » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:42 pm

DOH did someone say cookies. After posting that pan helped to correct me anyway. I misread your post and thought you were talking about the AL of your armor getting boosted. My bad!!!

Keebler I

Oh btw here are some rules for all to remember.

Rule 1. I am never wrong.

Rule 2. If ever you think I might be wrong, read rule 1. hehe
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Killing is my business, and business is GOOD!

Allegiance Council
Keebler@lastdynasty.net

Kythden
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Kythden » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:46 pm

ok then back to orrig question, why no disernable difference, I raised the armor level 50 AND had major armor on. I would have thought it would have droped the amount of damage. Before that was getting hit for 1 or two points with occasional 4 every now and then, afterwords same thing, and without any math involved, looked to be the same rate (lol basicly I was still having to heal as often.)
Fear is the Mind Killer

Kawari
Gardener
Gardener

Post by Kawari » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:04 pm

simply put, armor spells work the same way for a player that impen spells do for armor, they take into account a players resistances (not the natural resistances that were put into play a long time ago but base resistances that all players start with) and then multiply the total natural armor of the player by that amount

for instance, if you have a 50% slashing resistance and you add 50 points of armor to your natural armor through life magic protections you in effect really only add 25 points of slashing protection, whereas a ward or protection spell adds a % base to the multiplier, a lvl 7 prot i believe adds a 65% modifier and the ward plus a prot adds an 80% modifier, so that 50 armor is now getting multiplied by 130% instead of 50 =65 AL

put it simply protection spells and wards > armor spells

There IS a cutoff though for effectiveness.. for armor its approximately 1000 AL, after that differences in the amount of damage taken are very minor unless your increasing the AL of the piece significantly (IE a jump from 1000 to 1500 per say)
[img]http://isengarde.homestead.com/files/kawari.jpg[/img]

I think its time for a new sig.....