Continuing to crash to desktop......

If you need assistance with Decal or any Decal plugins, this is the place.
Sparkie
Harvester
Harvester

Continuing to crash to desktop......

Post by Sparkie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. As I said I am having on-going major problems with being able to login and stay IG. Here's what I have done with no improvement.

1 - Removed and wiped from the registry all plugins.

2 -D/L'd all new plugins including removal and replacement of MSXML4 Parser.

3 - reviewed and upgraded where needed all drivers.

Since I have done this I still have problems. I did notice that issues where occurring with my video. I use Geoforce 4 TI440 w/128M (NVIDA is mfr). I re-installed all video with the current driver pack from NVIDA.
Now that the patch is complete, I cannot log into the game at all. It goes to desktop when I select Sparkie and begin entering the game. I have no other issues with my comp or applications, just AC. I'm about to give up, but don't want to since AC is the only game I will play. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :D
Are we there yet?

Sparkie al-Fireblaze, 120 OG mage
The Astounding Andy, 106 OG mage,

Sparkie
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Sparkie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:14 pm

I forgot to mention that when I don't run Decal and the plugins I have no problems entering the game.
Are we there yet?

Town Crier
Allegiance Council

Post by Town Crier » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:36 pm

Do you have your desk top set to 16bit color?

Are you running dual log?

You need to wait until Decal is updated before using any plug ins.

Did you uninstall everything and delete the folders and use regedit? If not do so.

Install just decal -- then go in game. If you crash -- decal is problem. If not then start loading your plugins one at a time.

Sparkie
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Sparkie » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:56 pm

TC -

Thanks for your advice. Currently I run at 32bit on all app's, have forever and never had a problem running AC. I'm not running dual log so that's out. I did un-install everything including AC, deleted the folders and wiped with regedit.

After re-install of AC I started with Decal and it appeared everything was ok. I started loading plugins one at a time and testing to see if it hung up. I started with tank. At first it ran great, I was out in Teth checking it out. BTW, Teth now has heavy spawns all around. Good place once again. There is a gate now at the entrance to help keep the critters out. Anyway, after hunting for a few minutes I got the boot. I had to wait a couple minutes before logging back in. When I did it was only moments before I was booted again. Got back in game and now get the boot upon loging into the world. :cry:

Rarely do I play on patch day. I usually like to wait a day or two after patch due to roll-backs and plug-in updates. The patch doesn't have anything to do with the issues I'm having because it started several days before patch day. As frustrating as this is I refuse to give up. I've got too many years of play invested in AC.

I've never had these kinds of issues before and when I did have problems I was able to figure them out. But this time it's kicking my arse!

If there is anything you think I've missed please let me know!! Thanks again!!! :wink:
Are we there yet?

Trekman
Meginjarder Admin

Post by Trekman » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:03 am

You say that without any Decal at all you don't have those problems ?

If so then obviously Decal and/or Plugins and/or filters are the problem.

Can you please list all plugins and filters from your Decal window including their version numbers, regardless whether they are checked or not ?

Also check http://www.lastdynasty.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=4006 :wink:
[img]http://members.chello.at/trekman/1701bop.gif[/img]
[b][url=http://mj.lastdynasty.net/stats/meginch ... the+Axeman]Trekman the Axeman - Senior Skullsplitter and Master Of Slaughter[/url][/b]
Prim Trekmansun - Archer

Sparkie
Harvester
Harvester

Post by Sparkie » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:31 am

Well Trekman, I stand corrected. I removed all plugins including Decal, plus deleted their folders and wiped with regedit again. Went into game just running AC by itself and crashed while talking to Muneman. Logged back in to a corpse in Teth and now can't get to it because I can't stay connected long enough to recover my corpse. Now I beginng to think that it's a windows/BIOS issue because now my system can run idle without running any app's at all and it will crash and restart by itself.

I went to the ASUS site and D/L'd the latest BIOS update and from the DOS prompt the system will not recognize the format command. I thought about re-installing WinXP but the last time I did that it killed my HD. Pardon my french but I am soo pissed off I can't stand it. BTW, no trace of a virus on my system.
Are we there yet?

YenMei
Farmer
Farmer

Post by YenMei » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:34 pm

Not a techie, but have had similar problems myself. Maybe one of the following might help inspire the solution to pop into your head?

First time - After completely removing decal & all plugins was still crashing because I had overlooked an old version of one of the filters, which was crashing AC every time I moved clothing in my backpack.

Second time - turned out to be a loose capacitor on the motherboard, causing minute interruptions on the power supply, which forced a complete restart of the whole machine. I couldn't get in reliably for months :( .

Best of luck with sorting it out.
I should have stayed in hibernation for at least another month.